Silicon Valley is in Campus Tecnológico or Campus Tech. In 4 Grados Norte.
New Your Times wrote an article about silicon valley in Guatemala in 2011.
Juan Mini started the company ZipRealty in California.
It is hard to get Californian Silicon Valley Companies to come to Guatemala because there is to much violence. They don’t want to come to Guatemala because they don’t think it’s a good investment.
1. PAQ is a way of paying with your phone. Like any other start up, it has advantages and drawbacks.
Advantages: It is easier to pay and if it’s a company, then the boss would have more control of what the employees are buying, you save time, and it gives you miles to travel.
Drawbacks: Not all stores use this in Guatemala, chances are high that someone steals your phone, someone could hack your account from your phone and start spending or stealing you money.
2. In the fifth floor of the building there is a company called Milkn’ Cookies with 50 employees and an online game that teaches children how to recycle.
The two students, Pedro Mendez and Kristoffer Homader returned to Guatemala to start business because they felt there were more opportunities for creativity, and less competition for business.
3. There is new cellphone coming out in Guatemala called “Lucas” created by three Guatemalans and one Mexican.
4. The five most techy cities in the world besides Silicon Valley in CA are Tel Aviv in Israel, Bangalore in India, Seoul in South Korea, Stockholm in Sweden, and Guatemala City in Guatemala.
5. Xoom opened in 2014. It is an electronic money transform platform that makes it easier to transfer money.